#cheap van insurance
Cheap Van Insurance Quotes. Compare van insurance quickly and easily
Looking for cheap van insurance? We are here to find you the best van insurance quotes possible. Simply fill in our quick quote form and we will compare van insurance providers to bring you the most suitable deal – cheaply, quickly and easily.
Why use us to compare van insurance quotes?
You could just call around insurers, seeking cheap van insurance on your own, though it will take a lot of time and potentially cost you a lot of money. Van Compare is an independent van insurance specialist with extremely strong ties to insurance companies, brokers and intermediaries. Using us to compare van insurance on your behalf means:
- Cheap van insurance. We pass so much business to van insurance providers that they offer us great rates that the general public, and even other van insurance comparison sites, may struggle to match.
- A quick service. You don’t want to spend hours trawling through directories and calling each and every van insurance firm, repeating the same answers. At Van Compare you fill in one quick form and we do all the legwork.
- Tailor made van insurance. You are unique and so is your business, so we find the van insurance quotes that suit your vehicle and your specific needs.
- Flexible payment terms. Each partner offers online payments and monthly instalment options are available, whatever you prefer.
- Consistently low van insurance quotes. We check market prices on a daily basis, via our unique van insurance comparison system, which links up with all leading UK van insurance companies.
So much more than just a van insurance comparison site
Simply complete the easy online van insurance quote form to gain a choice of competitive prices, policies and benefits from a wide range of van insurance schemes. If you prefer to compare van insurance in person then call our UK based team of specialists for assistance. In many circumstances we are able to beat our online van insurance quotes by asking just a few additional questions.
Struggling to find cheap van insurance quotes? Then use Van Compare, the UK van insurance comparison site. Simply complete our quick quote form now.
UK van insurance quotes explained
The world of van insurance can be a minefield of jargon and even the smallest change to a policy can sometimes make quite a difference on the van insurance quotes you receive. Here’s a brief guide into how it all works and some tips to help you get cheap van insurance quotes and to make sure you end up with the right cover.
Compare van insurance quotes of the same type
In the UK, van insurance is a legal requirement if you are to drive a van on the roads. A van insurance policy allows you to drive your van, provided it is under 3.5 tonnes. There are three levels of van insurance cover available for you to choose from, so when comparing van insurance quotes, make sure they are on a like for like basis.
- Third Party Only van insurance: The most basic type of van insurance is Third-Party Only and it covers your liability for bodily injury or death to others and their property.
- Third Party Fire and Theft: This includes the above third party risks, as well as risk of fire damage and theft of your vehicle. Select van insurance providers will also cover the contents of your van and items such as the CD player.
- Comprehensive cover. Inclusive of Third Party Fire and Theft cover, comprehensive van insurance policies also cover the loss of, or damage to, your vehicle caused by an accident or vandalism. Some van insurance companies will include personal accident benefit within their comprehensive cover, should you be injured or die in an accident.
Please note that the specific cover will depend on the insurance company chosen and the policy taken out. We will advise you on policy limitations when you ask us to compare van insurance on your behalf.
How van insurance quotes are calculated
Van insurance companies classify vehicles into groups. You have probably heard of the 20 group rating scheme that car insurance is subject to, and van insurance is really no different. Insurers rate each van with a number, usually between 1 and 20, with regard to how much of a risk they believe it is. If your van is in a higher group then it is considered quite risky so will be more expensive to insure, whereas owners of lower group vans will enjoy cheap van insurance.
The groups are chosen after examining the historical accident rate with that type of van, as well as the likely cost of repairing it following an accident. Usually, the larger and heavier the van, the more it is thought to be harder to drive and expensive to repair, so van insurance quotes will likely be higher for a large van.
How UK van insurance companies class your vehicle
The majority of van insurance companies use five categories within which they place vans as the starting point for calculating the insurance group.
- Car-derived vans. These are vans that look like common cars and drive just like them, though the back windows are filled in with metal instead of glass and the rear seats have been replaced with a flat area to carry loads. The Vauxhall Astravan and the Ford Fiesta van are examples of car-derived vans.
- Micro vans. The smallest type of van that isn’t derived from a car, micro vans are generally used to carry small deliveries. The Citroen Nemo and Peugeot Blipper are counted as micro vans.
- Small/light vans. Whilst from the front these vans look similar to a car, the rear will often have hinged double doors and a raised roof. A common small van is the Volkswagen Caddy.
- Medium/panel vans. Panel vans are popular due to their easily accessible doors and large load capacity. The Ford Transit and Mercedes Sprinter are common panel vans.
- Large vans. Capable of carrying very large loads, these vans will often have a double-axle at the back supporting four rear wheels. The Luton van, often used by independent removals firms, is a typical large van.
There are factors other than size which dictate the price of van insurance quotes, including the size of the engine and whether it is petrol or diesel, whether the van is manual or automatic and the level of security system installed.
How to get cheap van insurance quotes
The type of van you drive can make a huge difference when you come to compare van insurance. Here are our tips for cheap van insurance quotes:
- If you do not already own a van then choose one that best suits your needs, as you could find it brings in far cheaper van insurance quotes. If you only plan on using your van for small deliveries then you should probably go for the smallest van that will do the job.
- Look at a variety of makes and models. Often vans from very similar manufacturers will bring in quite different van insurance quotes, so look at a few to find out which would bring you the lowest premium.
- Think about security. More security features will mean cheap van insurance is more likely. Choosing a van with strong locks, an alarm and immobiliser is a good start. Also, by parking in a garage or on a driveway overnight, van insurance will often cost less than if you leave the vehicle on the public roads.
- Look at the cover and what you do not need. If you only ever use your van for local journeys then a policy with EU cover probably isn’t going to be cost effective, so stick to UK van insurance cover. Van insurance quotes often include a replacement vehicle service but if you have a spare van or car and do not need one then mention this when you compare van insurance quotes as it should lower the cost.
Still have questions regarding van insurance quotes and how to find the right cheap van insurance? Then call our dedicated UK team now.
Dealing with the Truck Driver Shortage
05 November 2015
There is a real threat in the UK due to the shortage of truck drivers, for fleet owners this can be a real danger to their operations. Many of the current truck drivers are aging and retiring, leaving a very small pool of drivers left for operators to recruit.