Provide proof of insurance
How can I provide proof of insurance to the DMV?
If your driver license or your vehicle registration is suspended because of a lapse in automobile liability insurance coverage, you can provide proof that you now have insurance online or by mail.
After you provide your proof of insurance, the DMV will verify your coverage with your insurance company. 1
You can check your insurance status online. You can also check the status of your driver license and vehicle registrations through MyDMV . 2
If you need written confirmation that the DMV cleared a suspension or revocation, you must order your driving record or vehicle abstract. 3
How do I provide proof of insurance online?
To provide proof online, your name and address on DMV records must be correct.
You will need your
- inquiry or suspension order (see a sample ) from the DMV, which will have the
- vehicle plate number
- 10 digit document number
- NYS Insurance Identification Card (see a sample ), which will have the
- effective date of your liability insurance coverage
- policy number of your liability insurance coverage
- 3-digit code of your insurance company
It can take 48 hours for your records to be updated.
Can I provide proof by mail?
Yes. Mail the bottom part (tear strip) of your insurance letter and your NYS Insurance Identification Card (legible photo copies are acceptable) to
NYS DMV Financial Security Bureau
PO Box 2725
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12220-0725
The name and vehicle information on your insurance identification card must be the same as on your vehicle registration.
No, but you can do it online quickly and easily.
- 1. If your insurance company does not verify or denies the information you submitted, your driver license and/or vehicle registration will be, or will remain, suspended or revoked. 2. To create a MyDMV account you will need your NYS Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID card and the last 4 digits of your social security number. 3. You can order and immediately download your driving record abstract through MyDMV. To create a MyDMV account, you will need your NYS Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID card, and the last 4 digits of your social security number. To get a copy of your vehicle registration abstract, use the Request For Driving and/or Vehicle Record Information (MV-15).