Online Graduate Certificate in Mathematics
About the Program
The Graduate Certificate in Mathematics offers graduate level education in mathematics. The program is intended for students who wish to prepare for admission to graduate studies at another institution, or for holders of a Master’s degree in a discipline other than mathematics, who teach mathematics classes at the community college level. The program is also open to high school teachers who wish to obtain the qualification to teach Advanced Placement courses.
It should be noted that transfer of graduate credits to other institutions is not guaranteed.
However, all credits of the Graduate Certificate in Mathematics articulate into Indiana University East’s Master of Arts in Teaching, Mathematics (MAT). (The Graduate Certificate requirements are identical to the core requirements of the MAT)
Format of the Program
The Graduate Certificate is 100% online. It provides flexibility in scheduling and offers classes in Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
Students must complete 18 credits at the Graduate Level in Mathematics. At least 9 of these credits must be taken from IU East. At the beginning of the program, the Director of Graduate Studies in Mathematics will review your undergraduate transcripts and will decide which classes you will need to take. We realize that the requirements for undergraduate programs vary widely, and we will help you select courses that are one step beyond what you have taken as an undergraduate student.
Students must take one course from each of the following five areas:
It should be noted that MATH-M 215 (Calculus I), MATH-M 216 (Calculus II), MATH-M 311 (Calculus III), MATH-M 393 (Bridge to Abstract Mathematics), MATH-M 303 (Linear Algebra), MATH-M 403 (Modern Algebra), and MATH-M 413 (Intro to Real Analysis) are prerequisites for most of these classes. Unless the student has taken M 393 recently or is familiar with standard proof techniques, he or she will be required to take this class prior to enrolling in any of the graduate-level classes. Some of the mathematics courses are also offered in an online format, which would be open to students of the proposed program.
Sample Degree Plan
MATH-M 501 – Survey of Algebra (3)
MATH-M 551 – Markets and Asset Pricing (3)
- Completed application for graduate studies at Indiana University East. This application is done electronically, and all documentation – other than official transcripts – can be uploaded within the application. Please select Mathematics as the Academic Program, and Graduate Certificate as the Academic Plan. The application can only be processed after you pay the required application fee.
- Letter of Application: This letter should include a rationale applying to the program. You should articulate how you anticipate benefitting from the program.
- Current Resume: Include a current resume, which should include contact information for verifying prior experience.
- Other Documentation: If you have additional materials that you would like us to consider in support of your application, please include them in your application packet.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation are required. The letters should come from a person who knows you well and who can speak to your ability to teach and succeed in graduate studies. Please do not send letters from personal acquaintances or family members. These letters may be uploaded with your application or sent to the address below.
- Official College Transcripts: Please arrange for your official transcripts to be sent directly from the credit-granting institutions to the Graduate Advisor for NSM. A major GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale is expected). If you graduated from Indiana University we will obtain the transcripts. Please be sure to indicate if this is the case.
After completing the online application, please mail the remaining documents to:
Indiana University East
2325 Chester Blvd.
Richmond, IN 47374
The application for this program must be turned in by April 1st for summer, August 1st for fall, and January 1st for spring.
For further Information, please contact: