Nov 14 2016

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles #the #cheapest #car #insurance

#florida car insurance

How do I notify DHSMV of my auto insurance? And what levels do I have to carry?

How Do I? Menu

Florida s no-fault insurance law requires vehicle owners to carry at least $10,000 Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and $10,000 Property Damage Liability (PDL). All licensed insurance companies electronically report to DHSMV when policies providing PIP coverage are cancelled or taken out, so most of the time, owners do not need to notify the Department at all.

If your insurance company notifies us that you canceled a policy, and no other active policy is reported by another insurance company, we send a letter notifying you we need insurance information. This is sent to the address that you have provided to the department. It s important to make sure this address is current in order to be sure you ll receive important mail from us.

The policy may be cancelled because you failed to pay the insurance premium and the insurance company cancelled the policy or you changed insurance companies. If this occurs you must prove you have PIP/PDL insurance for every vehicle you have registered in Florida. There is no reinstatement fee if you provide insurance information in effect before the suspension date. If you don t have proof of insurance before the suspension date you must pay a $150 reinstatement fee for the first offense, $250 for a second offense within three years and $500 for all subsequent offenses.

The suspension will affect the driver license, tag and registration of the suspended person.

There are several methods of providing insurance information. The fastest way is to update your insurance information online. You also may mail in your response to the letter, take proof of insurance to a driver license office or call (850) 617-2000 and use the automated system to update your insurance.

If you no longer own the vehicle, surrender the Florida tags and registration immediately upon canceling the Florida insurance.

If you have been involved in a crash and desire the insurance coverage for the other party, you may obtain the information by mailing your request to:

Customer Service Correspondence Center

2900 Apalachee Parkway, Room A216, MS 99

Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0585.

You must include a copy of the complete crash report, front and back, or the driver exchange form. These forms will provide the department with the necessary information needed to expedite your request. You may fax the crash report to fax number 850-617-5216.

Please allow ten working days for research and reply.

Written by CREDIT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *