#student health insurance
Health Fee vs. health insurance
The Health Fee is a mandatory fee on your tuition bill that covers a variety of services for free (or at low cost) at University Health Service. The Health Fee is not health insurance and it is not meant to replace health insurance.
Consider your health care in two parts:
- All University of Kentucky full-time students pay the mandatory Health Fee that entitles them to most services at University Health Service for free.
- Health insurance coverage is strongly recommended for expenses not covered by the Health Fee, including most diagnostic procedures (laboratory tests, X-rays, MRIs), surgery, hospitalization and prescription medication.
Although UK students are welcome to use the health insurance plan of their choice, they are invited to purchase the gold metal level UK Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). UK SHIP is customized by the school to meet the year-round needs of UK students and their families at a competitive price.
UK Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
The University of Kentucky is contracted with Academic HealthPlans, Inc. in conjunction with UnitedHealthcare/StudentResources to provide the school-sponsored student health insurance plan for the 2015/2016 school year. Additional details are available on the UK Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) website .
On the SHIP website you can:
- View the complete Certificate Brochure with coverage details.
- Review the frequently asked questions.
- Enroll in/purchase the plan.
Remember, purchasing a health insurance plan is never a guarantee you will avoid out-of-pocket costs for medical care. The best way to make this, or any, coverage work for you is to be informed and proactive. Check the covered benefits before your procedure whenever possible. Know the specifics and communicate with your medical provider.
Contact Academic HealthPlans (AHP) at 855-856-2385