#cheap insurance for young drivers
Looking for affordable young driver van insurance?
Why is insurance so expensive for young drivers?
Insurance companies use a huge range of factors to calculate insurance premiums. You can find full details in our guide to insurance rating factors. but some of the main ones include:
- The van you re driving including its age, engine size, payload capacity and value
- Information about you Including your age, where you live, driving experience, and your convictions, no claims bonus and claims history
- The type of cover you re looking for different levels of cover are available, which generally increase in price with the level of protection offered
This is where many of the problems start for young van drivers. Statistically, young drivers are more likely to be involved in an accident than any other age demographic. The road safety charity Brake as compiled some hard facts about young drivers which include;
- 1 in 5 new drivers has a crash within six months of getting their licence
- An 18 year old driver is more than 3 times as likely to be involved in a crash as a 48 year old
Figures like these make young drivers a bigger risk to insurers than other age groups, which can lead to increased premiums. Young drivers in the UK are generally pushed toward small hatchbacks with small engines, in order to reduce their premiums a little, but if you re a young van driver, your options are a lot more limited.