#low rate auto insurance
California Car Insurance Low Rates, Multiple Discounts
Earning the lowest California car insurance rates
Insurance rates are always most favorable for drivers with good driving and safety records. The first step to affordable car insurance is being a safe driver and being in full compliance with all laws dealing with operating a vehicle.
Driving Legally in California
Five things are required to be a legal driver in California. These are:
- Have a valid driver s license on your person while driving
- Have proof of minimum car insurance coverage in the vehicle at all times
- Have a current safety inspection sticker
- Have the current registration for the vehicle
- Operate the vehicle in compliance with all posted and required driving laws and regulations.
You can find details on these and related driving issues at the following websites:
California Department of Motor Vehicles:
California Department of Insurance:
The official California state website:
Speed Limits in California
Speed limits can always be adjusted locally for construction or other reasons. In general, speed limits in California are as shown in the following chart:
- Rural Interstate 70 mph (55 mph trucks)
- Urban Interstate 65 mph (55 mph trucks)
- Other Limited-Access 70 mph (55 mph trucks)
- Other Roads 65 mph (55 mph trucks)
Required coverage for California auto insurance
At an annual average auto insurance cost of $1,362 per year, as of 2011, California automobile insurance is not the most expensive. That title surprisingly goes to Maryland at $1,979 per year. These are averages, however, and what you pay is going to depend on a number of factors. These include insurance you purchase above the minimums.
The below chart illustrates both the required legal minimum coverage and what is common for most California drivers: