Assure vs. Ensure vs. Insure
The three words, assure. ensure. and insure. are often confused. All three words share an element of making an outcome sure. However, rather than using these words interchangeably, I d like to point out the unique aspects of each word so that you can use them to communicate your intention clearly.
Assure is to promise or say with confidence. It is more about saying than doing.
Ensure is to do or have what is necessary for success.
Example: These blankets ensure that you ll be warm enough.
Especially in American English, what you insure is a business transaction. What you ensure results from your personal efforts.
Choose the correct word in each sentence. Scroll down to view answers.
1. I assure/ensure/insure you that I have been honest about the money I spent.
2. I will assure/ensure/insure my car as required by law.
3. Mauricio saved money from every paycheck to assure/ensure/insure he could buy gifts for his family at the end of the year.
Pop Quiz Answers
1. I assure you that I have been honest about the money I spent.
2. I will insure my car as required by law.
3. Mauricio saved money from every paycheck to ensure he could buy gifts for his family at the end of the year.